Saturday, January 31, 2015

God Will Strengthen You: a devotion by Ann Broughton



“I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me” (Philippians 4:13 KJV).

This was Paul’s testimony of what Christ did for him in very dire circumstances. Yet he could state that Christ gave him strength and that he learned to be content in all circumstances. (Philippians 4:11) Paul faced tremendous opposition for his testimony about Christ. He was flogged, stoned, and in danger constantly. Yet, he could state that he could do all things through Christ.
When my father was dying of cancer I worried about how my mother would ever handle being the care giver and watching dad die a little every day. I told her that I was worried. She said, “Ann, you should know that God is giving me the strength to handle this.” She had peace that only God could give her during a very stressful time in her life. To me she was such a great witness of how his strength is perfect when our strength is gone.
I have seen it in my own life. I could not have taught special education for thirty years without the strength I received from Christ. The above verse was one I recited daily while I was teaching. He gave me strength, wisdom, and patience to do my job and try to meet my students’ needs. It was very stressful at times, but I would pray and feel his peace envelop me right when I needed it. It was only with His strength that I did my job.
I do not know what you are facing right now, but I do know that “I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me”.  Please know that Christ is there for you in every circumstance and will carry you through it. Just surrender it to him, and watch what happens. You will be amazed by the outcome. Then please tell others about how his strength helped you. You can lighten somebody’s load of care and guide them to the one who can give them peace.
Dear Lord,
We know that we will face times in our lives when we will need to rely on your strength to manage trials. Help us to trust that you can do this for us. Help us to believe that we can do the impossible with your help. Then help us to share with others how you gave us strength to carry on.
In Jesus’ name,
Amen


No comments:

Post a Comment

Perseverance: A devotion by Ann Broughton

“ And not only this, but we also exult in tribulations, knowing that tribulation brings about perseverance; and perseverance proven cha...